Eligibility & Application Requirements
Eligibility for Study Abroad: South Africa
Program Date: July 10 - 25, 2022
Applications for Study Abroad: South Africa will be available on October 18, 2021
We welcome high school students who meet the following criteria to apply:
Current juniors (will be rising seniors at the time of the summer program)
- Strong academic standing with solid extracurricular activities. Qualified applicants must be self-motivated, self-disciplined, and demonstrate a high level of maturity. In addition, applicants must express a sincere desire to be part of the Notre Dame community while they are participating in the program.
At least 16 years of age by or on August 1, 2022.
Valid passport (passport must be valid through January 26, 2023)
- While the University has not yet determined whether vaccines will be mandated for participants in the Summer 2022 Study Abroad programs, the University has mandated vaccines for all its students, faculty, and staff for the 2021-2022 academic year, and it is likely that some form of vaccine mandate will be applied to summer 2022 on-campus and study abroad Pre-College enrolled participants. We will communicate updated information concerning vaccine mandates to admitted students.
Interested students must submit an online application, a high school transcript, a counselor report, and a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher.
High school counselor name and email address*
High school recommending teacher’s name and email address*
If you plan to submit standardized test scores, you may scan a copy of your electronic score report and upload it in the online application when instructed to do so; Scores will be accepted up until February 1, 2022. Standardized test scores (SAT, ACT, or PSAT) are strongly encouraged to enhance a student's Study Abroad application, but they are not required.
A TOEFL score or a submitted DuoLingo Online English Test is required for International applicants who do not attend an English-speaking high school.
- Major credit card for payment of $75 application fee.
- If you wish to pay by check, please make the check out to "University of Notre Dame Office of Pre-College Programs" and mail to University of Notre Dame Office of Pre-College Programs, 403 McKenna Hall, Notre Dame, Indiana, 46556
- Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by January 24, 2022. Applications will not be reviewed until all application materials are received.
*Supplemental documentation is required to complete your application. Our office will send an auto-email to your counselor requesting a transcript, counselor report, and school profile. Our office will also send an auto-email to your recommending teacher requesting their recommendation. Please speak with your recommending teacher and obtain their approval before you add your teacher's contact information to your application. Please read the application instructions very carefully and follow-up with your counselor and teacher to confirm their receipt of the auto-emails.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Pre-College Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (574) 631-0990.